In the beginning...
Lesbian.org first began in the mid-1990’s and was one of the first major web sites for lesbians. For many years the site provided a comprehensive list of web links and also hosted discussion lists and web sites for lesbian-oriented non-profits. The site also sponsored a lesbian literary journal called Sapphic Ink.
Now that the web has grown and changed so much, I’m trying to figure out how to make the best use of Lesbian.org The site comes fairly high in Google searches, which makes me wonder what kind of resource visitors are looking for, and whether such a resource exists elsewhere.
I’m open to suggestions from visitors!
- One of my Gender & Sexuality Studies papers? Look under PAPERS on AmyGoodloe.com
- Lesbian.org Book Reviews.
Web Resources for Lesbians
The most common questions visitors to the site have are: how do I deal with coming out? and how do I meet other lesbians?
I've gathered a few resources to help with each question:
- Stages of Coming out from Empty Closets
- Should you come out to your parents? (article on Psychology Today)
- Coming Out Later in Life from the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging
- Coming Out Resources from the Human Rights Campaign
- SHOE Lesbian Community - Forums
- Forums on AfterEllen.com
- Lesbian Forum on HipForums
- Empty Closet Forums (LGBT - also has chat room)
Here's a screen shot of what Lesbian.org looked like around 1997, thanks to the amazing Wayback Machine.